This was another amazing recipe from the Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook. I have made 1/4 of the book and nothing has disappointed me yet. Everything is fairly quick and easy, plus healthy too.
This recipe makes 6 servings and is 7 Points Plus per serving.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound low-fat chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen sliced okra
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 3 cups hot cooked rice (brown)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic to pot; cook, stirring, until onion is golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth until mixture is smooth.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, salt, black pepper, cayenne and bay leaves to pot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 20 minutes.
- Return sausage to pot along with okra and shrimp. Simmer, covered until okra is tender and shrimp is just opaque in center, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Spoon 1/2 cup of rice into each of 6 soup bowls. Ladle gumbo evenly over rice.